Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Scholarship in Eugene


I used to go to work in this town and read all the books and write down the thoughts. I went to the Chinese eat spots because it seemed they had their shit together. No matter what paradox I was trying to solve, a bowl of noodles with the chili oil made me straight. February, 2015, Eugene.


438. “It is very difficult to evaluate Watkin’s suggestion. If he is right that Hesiod has without reflection inherited a very old Indo-European tradition, it nevertheless seems clear that Hesiod almost certainly does not know that he means penis; if Hesiod does not know that he means penis, it is hard to imagine what his audience thought this riddle may have been about.” (Notes to English translation of Hesiod’s Works and Days, David W. Tandy and Walter C. Neale. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1996, p. 108.)

5 comments:

  1. what someone actually means is very seldom clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last night I spent a couple hours with three people:

    1) Justin, my photographer buddy who has no philosophical depth but has talent and is reasonably fun to hang out with in limited doses but doesn't understand the concept of not making a point of my family/marital status. If a girl cares, a girl will ask. Otherwise, leave the wife and kids out of it, ya know?

    2) Kerri, a big tittied long haired 5 who is a slut and reasonably funny, one of Justin's former dating app "matches". Nothing too much going on for her, but she was an important part of the dynamic.

    3) Cara, a blonde with big tits from texas; more attractive than her rating of probably 6 because she owned it, smiled, and kept herself up. The flirting with this Cara was a recent life highlight - though its mostly driven by the overall shortage of this activity in my life.

    Justin who is half black likes to make a big deal about penis size - and good for him if this is an asset. But it came off as desperate in this circumstance because Cara was flirting with me despite not being half black and despite the fact that Justin kept making references to the wife and child. But each time he would do this cara and I would make eye contact with the understanding that it we felt like it, we could go get a room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) The blonde mentioned her husband once. Then it wasn't relevant because you can also talk about the checkout lady who sells you the two scoops of eggs in the morning. No one goes to run club wanting to talk about jobs or families. You talk about races and sex.
      2) Park Tavern's principle revenues are generated by the Kerris. It is easier to talk to two women than one. 3 still easier, but then it is a lecture.
      3) Not many women can handle very large tits. But Texan women seem to be born with a godly ability to present large tits like a well arranged bouquet. The tension described--I know what the smile and the gaze look like, combined with a Southern accent and cowboy boots and cut off jean shorts.

      Delete
    2. These aphorisms describe some of the pillars of a functioning society.

      Delete
    3. This woman Cara was like 24 or so, maybe 23. So, when I told her I go to an office for work, and she wanted more detail, and was not satisfied with my response that I "sit at a desk, move my mouse, type,etc." as being my "job" and I responded that this is what I am paid to do.

      Delete